International professional speaker, African Climate Reality leader, sustainability facilitator, green procurement consultant and ethical food activist, Lorraine Jenks is a leader in motivating better practices in both the corporate and private sectors.
With over 45 years of experience in environmental activism and a sense of humour to match, get ready for a professional but personal experience from “The Little Green Queen” where personality and positive energy balance the seriousness of the topics at hand.
Gutsy, witty and passionate, Lorraine started her journey as an activist in California in 1969 – and has never looked back! With two leading online companies to her name, she is qualified to speak knowledgeably and practically on environmental awareness, going green, climate change and environmental ethics.
WHAT I DO
- Inspirational speaker
- Keynote speaker
- Master of Ceremonies
- Panel moderator
- Sustainability couch
- Confex organiser
- Workshop manager
HOW I DO IT DIFFERENTLY
- No lecturing. I prefer to provoke thought which shifts mindsets.
- No bullet points. My style is to entertain by using images and generous sprinklings of humour to balance serious content.
- If necessary, I can rattle the collective mind-set of your leaders.
- Giving decision-makers permission to think differently, provokes new thinking.
- My audiences leave smiling, informed and inspired to make better choices.
- No doom and gloom. Just facts. Why, what and how. Solutions, easy alternative choices and hope.
WHAT WILL YOU GET
- Clear and professional explanations of the challenges
- Clear and easy tools, practices and solutions to adopt immediately
- Academic presentations for companies and education bodies
- Entertaining presentations for clubs and societies
- A mixture of both to encourage buy-in from your group
TedxLytteltonWoman - Gurus have guts. Just do it.
Ranging from large professional conferences to gatherings of a more personal nature, Lorraine speaks, educates and shifts mindsets on:
- Sustainability – Energy, Water, Waste, Operations and Procurement
- Green Guidelines for Professional Procurement Officers – All products
- Going Green: Why, what and how
- Sustainable and Ethical Food and Catering
- Responsible Tourism and Hospitality – Economic, Social, Environmental and Political
- Sustainable Green Design Lifestyle/ Décor/ Fashion
- Climate Change in Africa – The Effect and How to Adapt. For Families, Tourism, Business and Agriculture
- Inspirational and light hearted "keynote-with-a-message" – to entertain a social group, club, dinner function
- Green Gurus have Guts - TedX talk
- The joy of working for yourself and succeeding in your 60s.
Lorraine has presented at scores of conferences and has organised workshops and seminars as far afield as Ghana and China, including:
- Tourism Indaba (own breakaway seminar, 6 years running)
- BBC Lifestyle/DSTV Grand Designs Theatre
- SA Youth Travel Conference
- Decorex Theatre
- Hostex Edu-Theatre
- Getaway Conference
- Facilities Management Conference
- Waste Management Pan African Convention
- Hotel Investment Conf TBCSA
- Wastex Africa Summit
- Event Greening Forum
- Professional Speakers International Convention
- Tedcor Awards Gala
- Independent Examinations Board (IEB) training
- SAEE (Southern African Energy Efficiently) – Women in Energy
- African Hotel Investment Convention - Ghana
- Sustain and Build Africa Conference
- Fiera Milano Hospitality and Food
- Food for Thought Conference – CTICC 2 panels
- Green Drinks International – Cape Town
- Green Drinks International - Sandton
- 15 Workshops for Eskom’s IDM programme
- Africa Waste Summit (2 panels)
- The Free State Green Summit (2 keynotes)
- Slow Food Festival, Beijing, China
- RESTOA Tourism Standards, Africa
- Smart Procurement Conference 2014 and 2016
- Hotelier Summit Africa (2 keynotes)
- SAPICS regional workshops
- Green Tourism Summit in Kenya - 3 keynotes (Climate, Food, Procurement)
- TEDx Lyttelton
- All Africa Events
- Tourvest Wonder Women in Greening
- Tourism Marketing Indaba
- PEWA Power Energy World Association
- Wisehub Innovation Summit
- Pecha Kucha
- Gansbaai Recycling Project
- Tuis and Home Pod House Project
- Hotel Show Feature Exhibition Stands and Panel Discussion
- Slow Food Soweto Eat In and Conference
KEYNOTES & WORKSHOPS
TRAINING & CONSULTING
Several of the these venues where Lorraine trained or consulted have gone on to win top international sustainability awards:
- Vineyard Hotel
- Fancourt Hotel and Golf Estate
- Southern Sun Hotel Sandton
- Intercontinental Hotel Sandton
- Palazzo Hotel Montecasino
- Hotel Verde
- The Peech Hotel
- Indaba Hotel
- Lilizela Imvelo Responsible Tourism Environmental Award (Chief Judge for 2 years)
- Fair Trade in Tourism
- Manaung MCCI Green Free State Summit
5 of the 12 awards Lorraine has been awarded have been for some of these projects:
- Hostex – Complete Eco Hotel (twice – top award)
- Hostex – Exhibition stand (10 years)
- Decorex - Complete Eco Green Home (twice – top award)
- Decorex – Exhibition stand (5 years)
- BBC Lifestyle/DSTV Grand Designs – Home of the Future
- Inspire Design and Décor – Greenstuff Eco Suite (2 awards)
- Tourism Indaba – Exhibition (4 years running)
- Fiera Milano Hospitality and Food - exhibition
- Good Food and Wine Show - exhibition
- Facilities Management Conference - exhibition
- Eskom IDM (we organised 15 nationwide workshops and exhibitions)
- Hotel Show Africa - four feature stands demonstrating sustainable design and decor
EXHIBITIONS & PROJECTS
SUSTAINABLE AND ETHICAL FOOD CONFEX
International trends in food have changed.
Recently Lorraine ran the first such conference in South Africa: a professional, academic, double-blind experiment to formally compare organic and commercial foods.
Eight speakers, 100 chefs, caterers and food professionals.
Identical meals prepared by Prue Leith Chefs Academy.
A sit down lunch for chefs to judge differences in taste.
And - most importantly – to compare costs.
SLOW FOOD SOWETO EAT IN
With Slow Food Johannesburg, 10 chefs cooked an Afrikaner cow from nose to tail.
Concurrent presentations in the Soweto Theatre on good, clean and fair food and the formal registration and preservation of indigenous, ethnic and heritage foods and seeds.
SLOW FOOD SERENGETI EAT IN
Similar concept to Soweto. Ten chefs compete to cook one standard cut from an Nguni cow and one dish of offal.
SLOW FOOD INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE, CHINA
Lorraine represented South Africa at the International Slow Food Conference. Twenty countries brainstormed plans for the future, displayed Arc of Taste foods (rare and endangered plants needing protection) and visited organic farm in Beijing.
SLOW FOOD INTERNATIONAL TERRA MADRE SALON DE GUSTO
Held in Turin. 1,500 exhibition stalls in the park; 3,000 delegates; dozens of concurrent talks and debates; 6,000 protesters marching through Turin against over processed foods and genetically modified (GMO) crops; one million visitors to the exhibition stalls. These amazing numbers demonstrate the trends in agriculture and food security. Let me share it with you.
IMPACT OF CLIMATE CHANGE ON AFRICA and how to prepare and adapt
I have the latest statistics and research from Al Gore and have done extensive research into Climate Change in Africa. They why, what and how to adapt with check lists to prepare and tips from people who have already experienced shifting seasons, extreme weather and impacts. No doom and gloom; just fact, solutions and hope.
SUSTAINABLE AND ETHICAL FOOD
MAKING MANGAUNG THE GREEN CAPITAL OF SOUTH AFRICA
Thank you so much for adding colour, warmth, passion, laughter and most importantly insight to the 2015 MCCI “Making Mangaung the Green Capital of South Africa” Conference.
Your intimate knowledge on the topic “The what, why and how of going Green” set a solid foundation for the event!
You are truly an asset to the event industry!
PETER METCALFE (Chairman)
The Foundation For The Development Of Africa
PROFESSIONAL SPEAKERS ASSOCIATION OF SA
As a fellow professional speaker my expectations are generally high -- Lorraine exceeded mine.
Lorraine not only shares her insightful wisdom with finesse and professionalism, she does so with brilliant humour keeping you engaged and attentive.
Every human being should have the privilege of listening to and being inspired by Lorraine.
CELYNN ERASMUS REGISTERED DIETICIAN,
Professional Speaker, Author, Passionate Foodie
PAUL du TOIT - Professional Speaker - CPS
Folks, this lady is one cracker of a speaker with a very important message, expertly delivered. Do yourself a favour and go and see her.
Paul du Toit, PSASA, CSP
JONI PEDDIE - Professional Speaker
Lorraine speaks with kowledge, integrity and authority on her subjects. But that's not what makes her captivate her audience - she is clear, practical and has a teriffic sense of humour. But more importantly... watch this lady... she will leave a legacy!
Joni Peddie, CEO, BizCom. PSASA Professional Speaker
SAPICS - SA Supply Chain Professionals
Lorraine’s presentation was one of the most popular of the entire regional conference programme in 2016 and we look forward to introducing her to the broader SAPICS community.
They say that dynamite comes in small packages and they are right. Lorraine Jenks is dynamite. Her frank, factual and direct presentation on Sustainable and Green Procurement at the SAPICS Regional Conferences was both interesting and enjoyable and was highly rated by the attendees.
Lorraine tells it like it is and challenges her audience to heed her recommendations in terms of lifestyle changes and to influence business to be more environmentally conscious as they pursue their objectives. Lorraine changed some of my paradigms and I encourage you, if you have to opportunity to hear what she has to say.
Mungo Park, President, SAPICS
HOSPITALITY INVESTMENT CONFERENCE AFRICA
On behalf of the Tourism Business Council of South Africa board, the sponsors and partners of HICA 2012, we wish to express our thanks and gratitude for your contribution and participation at the conference.
We believe that your session certainly contributed excellently towards the overall conference theme of “Recharge & Refocus”.
The discussions both in the plenary and breakaway sessions were lively and intellectually stimulating.
HICA Convener and TBCSA Chief Executive Officer
AFRICA HOTEL SUMMIT, GHANA
I want to thank you once more for presenting at the Africa Hotel Summit last month in Ghana.
Your unique style of presenting definitely woke up the audience and made them aware of the necessity of ecological and responsible procurement in the hospitality sector in Africa.
The humour and pictures during the presentation were a fresh breeze during the heavy loaded conference without missing their goal: Many delegates rated your presentation amongst the highest regarding new insights and useful information and I’m positive that they will keep your message in the back of their heads when looking at new projects.
Thanks again and we hope to see you at a future hotel summit!
Conference Manager Africa, Lnoppen Bvba, Belgium
EVENT GREENING FORUM
You’re the best! Your presentations are interesting and informative.
I love the style in which you present with authenticity and honesty.
You get the audience in the palm of your hand because they wonder what you’re going to say next!
I have heard you four times this year and I want to hear you speak again.
Chairman, Event Greening Forum, South Africa
HOTEL VERDE TRAINING
Thank you for coming to chat to us at Hotel Verde. It was great to see such passion and such thorough believe in every element that encompasses sustainability.I think for many of the staff you brought issues to their attention that they have never thought of, for me I learnt many new things I was not aware of. But also, sometimes one gets caught up in day to day living and the stresses thereof and you forget what’s important and how every day decisions or “votes” as you call it make a difference.
I had renewed energy after leaving your talk, to hit my books and study, to pick up my blog on sustainability and to make my votes count!
ROXANNE NORMAN, Customer Relations Executive
HOTELIER SUMMIT IDE
Lorraine I loved your presentation. In an age of pussy footing around with careful language choices and being very careful not to point fingers you, my friend, are a straight talking finger pointer!
Your use of pictures to illustrate your point and letting the audience grasp the meaning of the picture while your soft voice penetrates like a stiletto and pricks them in their comfort zone!
Irreverent, to the point, polished and fun, like I said at the time I wish we could bottle you and send you to all the meetings where our 'greenies' are sitting on their laurels and add some thorns to those comfy seats!
Gordon Ayres, Agama BiogasPro, HOTELIER SUMMIT IDE